Skip to main content

Ignorance is bliss

The news. It should be renamed. It's not just informing you about what is going on in the world.
It takes the latest occurrences, filters out the uplifting (unimportant?) stuff and slaps the rest of it in your face. Day. Ruined.

I've limited myself to the news app on my phone in the morning and evening. And the radio news in the car. That's as much as I can take.

Does that make me ignorant? Probably. Do I not care about what goes on in the world? Very much so. Too much probably. It haunts me. Little news snippets. 10 years on. I can still visualise certain news reports. Pictures shown. I don't just watch it and consider myself informed. It soaks into me and goes with me for the day, for life.

I should probably learn to separate emotion from the news, but how can you not be devastated and disheartened by so much of the stuff that makes the headlines? It's a trade off between feeling well-informed and depressed. The older I get, the more I have gone into self preservation mode. It's become harder to skip past the nausea-inspiring stories and still want to read on about those slightly easier to digest. I just don't have the heart.

Fully aware that the world isn't perfect. Humanity is flawed. There has always been violence and misery in there world. There is a need for people to be informed enough to make a difference. It's just not going to be me. Count me out. I've gone in survival mode. And that means that for me, ignorance is bliss.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Put a lid on it.

As I'm on holiday at the moment and lying by the pool (stick around, I'm going somewhere with this) it's only natural to have a look around at all the people surrounding me. Men, women. All different nationalities, ages and body shapes.  I start playing the ranking game. Not very consciously but nevertheless I do it. A woman might be taller and leaner but have a slightly bigger belly. Bigger boobs but chubbier legs. Pretty arms but pasty skin. I think it's a way of confirming my own body shape is not perfect but neither is anyone else's. Would I want to swap one of my flaws for another? I wonder if we were put in a room by ourselves with no one to compare ourselves to or measure against would we be happier to accept who we are? Does the culture to share and compare through magazines, social networking etc. feed into our insecurities or is it a way for us to "like" ourselves by highlighting the areas we like and blurring out those which we don't.  I...

Full hearts

This is the fifth attempt at starting a new blog post. If you're reading this, it means I've decided it's good enough (or I've given up on attempting better*). It's been a busy few weeks. We've had visitors. Well, one. My lovely mother has been over to stay for a while and has kindly let us escape some of the school holidays for a (well deserved?) break away - you know, to see if the husband and I can still stand each other when the kids aren't around. The house has been wrecked/tidied/wrecked and the kids have never been fed so well nor been entertained/played as much. So you would think the day we 'go back to normal' would be a slowly unwinding, falling back into place kind of day. Instead the kids are still up (there was screeching at bath time) and the husband and I are just a little bit lost without our dinner cooked for us and a welcoming face awaiting us after school/work. She came in a little car laden down with food/drinks/christmas pr...

10 ways to squeeze the hygge out of Copenhagen

The overload of Scandinavian interior shots, the 'Little Book of Hygge's popularity, autumn weather settling in and nowhere seemed more appropriate for a city trip than Copenhagen. Or Køpenhavn as the locals would say. I have to mention here that it gets strangely addictive saying the ø sound. Smørebrød is the best word. I have rounded up my top 5 of things to eat/drink and 5 places to explore to get an instant feel for the city. There is of course a lot more to see and do, but I wanted to summarise the highlights. This should allow you to spend more time browsing the cool design shops, tasting the delicious food and soaking up the cosy (hygge) atmosphere. You're welcome. 5 THINGS YOU HAVE TO EAT/DRINK IN COPENHAGEN Grød - All In Porridge Bowl Granola - Danish Omelette with Mushrooms, Cheese, Tomato, Ham and Salad Laura's Bakery  - Skyr Yoghurt and Vanilla custard & Chocolate cinnamon bun Ruby - Postie Fizz Paté Paté  - Pork Party ...