Skip to main content

10 ways to squeeze the hygge out of Copenhagen

The overload of Scandinavian interior shots, the 'Little Book of Hygge's popularity, autumn weather settling in and nowhere seemed more appropriate for a city trip than Copenhagen. Or Køpenhavn as the locals would say. I have to mention here that it gets strangely addictive saying the ø sound. Smørebrød is the best word.

I have rounded up my top 5 of things to eat/drink and 5 places to explore to get an instant feel for the city. There is of course a lot more to see and do, but I wanted to summarise the highlights.

This should allow you to spend more time browsing the cool design shops, tasting the delicious food and soaking up the cosy (hygge) atmosphere. You're welcome.

5 THINGS YOU HAVE TO EAT/DRINK IN COPENHAGEN


Grød- All In Porridge Bowl



Granola- Danish Omelette with Mushrooms, Cheese, Tomato, Ham and Salad



Laura's Bakery - Skyr Yoghurt and Vanilla custard & Chocolate cinnamon bun



Ruby - Postie Fizz



Paté Paté - Pork Party



5 PLACES TO VISIT IN COPENHAGEN


Illums Bolighus

The homeware shop by appointment to the royal Danish family and it doesn't disappoint. This department store isn't just a beautiful building but feels spacious and cosy all at once, enhancing your enjoyment whilst you browse the fashion and homeware by the most iconic Danish designers.



Papirøen (Copenhagen Street Food)

Only one block up from where the world-famous Noma restaurant is situated (worth a stroll, check out the art installation in front of it), on the river docks you will find this fun warehouse where you can try street food from various corners of the world, enjoy some drinks and a great atmosphere. Try the burritos! From here you can continue on to Freetown Christiana - another experience to add to the list. Look it up.




Tivoli Gardens

The well-known theme park offers rides for kids and adults as well as lots of restaurants and souvenir shops. We visited it in the evening on Halloween and enjoyed wandering around, admiring the decorations, tasting the most delicious almond cakes and watching the light show by the lake. Oh, and we couldn't help but laugh at the petrified screams of the people getting spun around upside down on the rides.




The Little Mermaid/Kastellet

It was a bit of a hike to visit the little mermaid and she is only little - they named her well - but combined with Kastellet, the star shaped citadel which houses army barracks, the walk gives you a nice out-of-the-city feel. Bring a coat though, it somehow felt quite chilly and exposed by the river.




Nyhavn

This city does well in the evening when all the little candles, lights and patio heaters come into their own. Along this canal, you will find the iconic coloured buildings, housing restaurants and bars where you can stop for a hot drink or a gastronomical feast. We stopped here for a hot chocolate on the way back from Papirøen. Cosy up under a blanket and watch the world go by, very hygge.




If you're after a very cosy place for a winter city trip, I'd highly recommend this town which prides itself on cool design, great food and wraps it all up in a diffused light glow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Put a lid on it.

As I'm on holiday at the moment and lying by the pool (stick around, I'm going somewhere with this) it's only natural to have a look around at all the people surrounding me. Men, women. All different nationalities, ages and body shapes.  I start playing the ranking game. Not very consciously but nevertheless I do it. A woman might be taller and leaner but have a slightly bigger belly. Bigger boobs but chubbier legs. Pretty arms but pasty skin. I think it's a way of confirming my own body shape is not perfect but neither is anyone else's. Would I want to swap one of my flaws for another? I wonder if we were put in a room by ourselves with no one to compare ourselves to or measure against would we be happier to accept who we are? Does the culture to share and compare through magazines, social networking etc. feed into our insecurities or is it a way for us to "like" ourselves by highlighting the areas we like and blurring out those which we don't.  I...

Bring on the bright

Nothing as bright and ready-for-Spring than an Easter parade of yellow shoulder bags. I'm over the red bags. I never found one that was quite right and so after many attempts I've moved on to the next season already. Shelve the wintery hues, bring me Spring.  I can't say for certain, but the fact that my holiday plans are taking shape may have put me in the mood for some brighter accessories. For me the ideal bag has to have a shoulder strap, allowing hands free child wrangling and also be small enough to be comfortable for wearing out for a walk (think stroll to coffee shop rather than wild rambling) and big enough to house my wallet, keys, phone and sunglasses.  I've rounded up my absolute favourites from the bargainous, via the slightly more on the naughty side to the remortgage-your-house-and-eat-rice-for-months zone.  Leave a comment with your favourite.  1  Chloe - Hudson Small  | 2 Chloe - Marcie Mini  | 3 Parentesi - Acros...

Full hearts

This is the fifth attempt at starting a new blog post. If you're reading this, it means I've decided it's good enough (or I've given up on attempting better*). It's been a busy few weeks. We've had visitors. Well, one. My lovely mother has been over to stay for a while and has kindly let us escape some of the school holidays for a (well deserved?) break away - you know, to see if the husband and I can still stand each other when the kids aren't around. The house has been wrecked/tidied/wrecked and the kids have never been fed so well nor been entertained/played as much. So you would think the day we 'go back to normal' would be a slowly unwinding, falling back into place kind of day. Instead the kids are still up (there was screeching at bath time) and the husband and I are just a little bit lost without our dinner cooked for us and a welcoming face awaiting us after school/work. She came in a little car laden down with food/drinks/christmas pr...