Skip to main content

Social media - a young person's game?

Only vain, young people would consider living their life broadcasted on various social media platforms.

And no one would watch anyone older than the age of 25 blog, vlog or snapchat about their life as surely, someone that old couldn't possibly have anything interesting to talk about.

Scanning places like Instagram, youtube and snapchat, it would certainly seem that way. Short of some "yummy mummy does the school run in style" type accounts these places seem largely populated by young, child-free fashion and beauty bloggers/vloggers.

Where are the women in their thirties, forties and fifties to follow? Granted, it's not too hard to find some stylish people on Instagram, but a picture isn't the same as a blog or a vlog. I am quite enjoying the youtube vlogs of the youngsters, but would love to see some people my age on there too. It seems they are hard to find.

Are we just too busy to consider publishing content on a media platform that requires more than a shutter click and a filter? Or have we got nothing interesting to share? Perhaps we feels it's too narcissistic to broadcast ourselves that way. Let's not forget that youtube has no filter on it, so you'd have to be happy to be seen publicly from all angles - in full HD.

I'm not sure if I could come up with creative content on a regular basis on such a platform, but it does feel like there is a gap in the "market" here.

If there are any women in their thirties or forties enjoying any of these platforms for more than the odd picture or post about their kids, let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Put a lid on it.

As I'm on holiday at the moment and lying by the pool (stick around, I'm going somewhere with this) it's only natural to have a look around at all the people surrounding me. Men, women. All different nationalities, ages and body shapes.  I start playing the ranking game. Not very consciously but nevertheless I do it. A woman might be taller and leaner but have a slightly bigger belly. Bigger boobs but chubbier legs. Pretty arms but pasty skin. I think it's a way of confirming my own body shape is not perfect but neither is anyone else's. Would I want to swap one of my flaws for another? I wonder if we were put in a room by ourselves with no one to compare ourselves to or measure against would we be happier to accept who we are? Does the culture to share and compare through magazines, social networking etc. feed into our insecurities or is it a way for us to "like" ourselves by highlighting the areas we like and blurring out those which we don't.  I...

Full hearts

This is the fifth attempt at starting a new blog post. If you're reading this, it means I've decided it's good enough (or I've given up on attempting better*). It's been a busy few weeks. We've had visitors. Well, one. My lovely mother has been over to stay for a while and has kindly let us escape some of the school holidays for a (well deserved?) break away - you know, to see if the husband and I can still stand each other when the kids aren't around. The house has been wrecked/tidied/wrecked and the kids have never been fed so well nor been entertained/played as much. So you would think the day we 'go back to normal' would be a slowly unwinding, falling back into place kind of day. Instead the kids are still up (there was screeching at bath time) and the husband and I are just a little bit lost without our dinner cooked for us and a welcoming face awaiting us after school/work. She came in a little car laden down with food/drinks/christmas pr...

Bring on the bright

Nothing as bright and ready-for-Spring than an Easter parade of yellow shoulder bags. I'm over the red bags. I never found one that was quite right and so after many attempts I've moved on to the next season already. Shelve the wintery hues, bring me Spring.  I can't say for certain, but the fact that my holiday plans are taking shape may have put me in the mood for some brighter accessories. For me the ideal bag has to have a shoulder strap, allowing hands free child wrangling and also be small enough to be comfortable for wearing out for a walk (think stroll to coffee shop rather than wild rambling) and big enough to house my wallet, keys, phone and sunglasses.  I've rounded up my absolute favourites from the bargainous, via the slightly more on the naughty side to the remortgage-your-house-and-eat-rice-for-months zone.  Leave a comment with your favourite.  1  Chloe - Hudson Small  | 2 Chloe - Marcie Mini  | 3 Parentesi - Acros...