Skip to main content

Unfinished

As a child I had a go at so many sports: tennis, judo, athletics, badminton, horse riding. I've done them all. And probably many more which I have already erased from my memory. I've gone to hours and hours of music lessons, piano lessons and music history lessons. And yet, after all these years I'd struggle to be decent at any of these things.

One of my childhood assessments pretty much came out with this conclusion: I can get quite good at things with ease, but don't have the stamina to finish things or become great at them.

It's a recurring theme in my life, this "not finishing things".
I gave up university for love (that was my excuse anyway, maybe the option of moving abroad was easier and more convenient than admitting that I didn't like being at university). I used to get told off for always leaving a tiny bit of food on my plate (unless it's cake of course, I'm not daft). I have yet to pick up my professional accountancy education again after taking time out to have children (again, there are easier ways out of things, but it's been a handy excuse not to pick it back up). I haven't taken the photography course to the next level (I enjoy taking pictures, but don't feel I'd ever be good enough to do it professionally). I like drawing but stick to funny stick man people as it doesn't feel too serious. I could go on here...

There are probably more things I don't finish on a regular basis, in day to day life. It's just not my thing.

So over the years, I've dabbled in things, liked them, became reasonably good at them and then just... gave up instead of persevering.

I'm good at some things, but great at none.
Maybe it's my messy, creative nature. The need to be impulsive. Try new things, but never commit.

Maybe one day I'll figure out what it is I can be great at. I'm hoping this blog will help me discover it.  That's if I stick with it...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full hearts

This is the fifth attempt at starting a new blog post. If you're reading this, it means I've decided it's good enough (or I've given up on attempting better*). It's been a busy few weeks. We've had visitors. Well, one. My lovely mother has been over to stay for a while and has kindly let us escape some of the school holidays for a (well deserved?) break away - you know, to see if the husband and I can still stand each other when the kids aren't around. The house has been wrecked/tidied/wrecked and the kids have never been fed so well nor been entertained/played as much. So you would think the day we 'go back to normal' would be a slowly unwinding, falling back into place kind of day. Instead the kids are still up (there was screeching at bath time) and the husband and I are just a little bit lost without our dinner cooked for us and a welcoming face awaiting us after school/work. She came in a little car laden down with food/drinks/christmas pr...

Put a lid on it.

As I'm on holiday at the moment and lying by the pool (stick around, I'm going somewhere with this) it's only natural to have a look around at all the people surrounding me. Men, women. All different nationalities, ages and body shapes.  I start playing the ranking game. Not very consciously but nevertheless I do it. A woman might be taller and leaner but have a slightly bigger belly. Bigger boobs but chubbier legs. Pretty arms but pasty skin. I think it's a way of confirming my own body shape is not perfect but neither is anyone else's. Would I want to swap one of my flaws for another? I wonder if we were put in a room by ourselves with no one to compare ourselves to or measure against would we be happier to accept who we are? Does the culture to share and compare through magazines, social networking etc. feed into our insecurities or is it a way for us to "like" ourselves by highlighting the areas we like and blurring out those which we don't.  I...

New starts, little souls.

It's what all parents are thinking about and talking about. Some have even been dreaming about it since the start of the summer. The kids are starting school again this week.  With it comes the exhilaration at your new found freedom or the sad feeling that the summer together has gone all too soon. And that we will miss not only the sun but the time spent together.  Kids will be lining up to join their old friends again or standing around looking for a familiar friendly face in an overwhelming sea of people. As a parent you always hope that your child will be equipped with the strength and self confidence to deal with any feelings of loneliness or fear. There is no greater gut wrenching moment than when you fear your child is the one feeling like the odd one out or "Billy no mates".  My child is lucky to have had many friends in her class in the last few years.  This year she will be starting a new class, with barely a close friend in it. Not as bad as starting afres...