Skip to main content

New starts, little souls.

It's what all parents are thinking about and talking about. Some have even been dreaming about it since the start of the summer. The kids are starting school again this week. 

With it comes the exhilaration at your new found freedom or the sad feeling that the summer together has gone all too soon. And that we will miss not only the sun but the time spent together. 

Kids will be lining up to join their old friends again or standing around looking for a familiar friendly face in an overwhelming sea of people. As a parent you always hope that your child will be equipped with the strength and self confidence to deal with any feelings of loneliness or fear. There is no greater gut wrenching moment than when you fear your child is the one feeling like the odd one out or "Billy no mates". 

My child is lucky to have had many friends in her class in the last few years. 
This year she will be starting a new class, with barely a close friend in it. Not as bad as starting afresh in a new school perhaps but as a mum of a sensitive, bright little girl still a moment of apprehension. Will her old friends soon forget to include her at playtime as new bonds form in the current class? Will she feel like a little lost soul in a class full of friendships carried through from previous years? Perhaps not. Probably not.

She will most likely form new friendships. Add to those formed last year and meet some new friendly faces. That's what we tell each other and encourage her to do. 
Building the excitement for her about the new class, new teacher and new friends, I can't help but wonder if we should also mention the fact that if she does find things hard, that is ok too. To not shy away from the hard part that can be school's social life. To prepare her rather than to merely hope that she won't feel lonely or sad sometimes. 

For now I will send her off with a little note telling her we all love her and hope she enjoys her lovely new class. Positive thinking with a little love as back up. 

Back to school it is. Enjoy everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full hearts

This is the fifth attempt at starting a new blog post. If you're reading this, it means I've decided it's good enough (or I've given up on attempting better*). It's been a busy few weeks. We've had visitors. Well, one. My lovely mother has been over to stay for a while and has kindly let us escape some of the school holidays for a (well deserved?) break away - you know, to see if the husband and I can still stand each other when the kids aren't around. The house has been wrecked/tidied/wrecked and the kids have never been fed so well nor been entertained/played as much. So you would think the day we 'go back to normal' would be a slowly unwinding, falling back into place kind of day. Instead the kids are still up (there was screeching at bath time) and the husband and I are just a little bit lost without our dinner cooked for us and a welcoming face awaiting us after school/work. She came in a little car laden down with food/drinks/christmas pr...

Put a lid on it.

As I'm on holiday at the moment and lying by the pool (stick around, I'm going somewhere with this) it's only natural to have a look around at all the people surrounding me. Men, women. All different nationalities, ages and body shapes.  I start playing the ranking game. Not very consciously but nevertheless I do it. A woman might be taller and leaner but have a slightly bigger belly. Bigger boobs but chubbier legs. Pretty arms but pasty skin. I think it's a way of confirming my own body shape is not perfect but neither is anyone else's. Would I want to swap one of my flaws for another? I wonder if we were put in a room by ourselves with no one to compare ourselves to or measure against would we be happier to accept who we are? Does the culture to share and compare through magazines, social networking etc. feed into our insecurities or is it a way for us to "like" ourselves by highlighting the areas we like and blurring out those which we don't.  I...

10 ways to squeeze the hygge out of Copenhagen

The overload of Scandinavian interior shots, the 'Little Book of Hygge's popularity, autumn weather settling in and nowhere seemed more appropriate for a city trip than Copenhagen. Or Køpenhavn as the locals would say. I have to mention here that it gets strangely addictive saying the ø sound. Smørebrød is the best word. I have rounded up my top 5 of things to eat/drink and 5 places to explore to get an instant feel for the city. There is of course a lot more to see and do, but I wanted to summarise the highlights. This should allow you to spend more time browsing the cool design shops, tasting the delicious food and soaking up the cosy (hygge) atmosphere. You're welcome. 5 THINGS YOU HAVE TO EAT/DRINK IN COPENHAGEN Grød - All In Porridge Bowl Granola - Danish Omelette with Mushrooms, Cheese, Tomato, Ham and Salad Laura's Bakery  - Skyr Yoghurt and Vanilla custard & Chocolate cinnamon bun Ruby - Postie Fizz Paté Paté  - Pork Party ...