Skip to main content

"Get back in your box" and other thoughts on blogging.

When I look at other people's blogs I love the ones which are multidimensional. I have a preference for those which cover everything from fashion to travel, beauty to food and are personal, open conversations, preferably of the rambling, spill the beans - there is a word I'm looking for here, can't think of it - type.

So how come when I think about writing a new post, which differs slightly from my usual slightly neurotic, comical content I feel like a fraud? As if someone will put a big red mark across the page saying "NO. This is not your territory. Get back in your box".

I'd love to expand my blog (even calling it that makes me feel like a vain, self-centred idiot) to cover other interests I have in life, to post some of my favourite products I use, fashion loves or places I have visited. To display some pictures rather than hide behind drawings would be cool.

So why don't I? It all links back to the fear of criticism. It's somehow easier to type some of my thoughts down in a 'dear diary'-style post, safe in the knowledge that there is not much to link me back to the real-life me. Once I open it up with more content, some pictures and links to places and things I love, it somehow becomes harder to distance myself from it when it feels too real, too claustrophobic to have things out there in the public domain.

On a similar note, I only recently made my Instagram an open account. Again, I am equally fearful of sharing too much and people really seeing me but sort of like the thought of people seeing what I post and appreciating it. I might even link it here *closes eyes as she hands over the name* (@mrsmlmy) (I also might come back and delete it about a minute after I post this blog).

I am working through this whole "Feel the fear and do it anyway" (yes, thanks Pinterest) idea.
So I might dust off that camera and start taking some more pictures and post some other content (oh how stuck up do I sound?) soon.

Keep your eyes peeled.

See, another rambling, no real point to it, post polished off. Thanks for reading anyway.

P.s. I'm struggling with the comments section - it should be open now - feel free to try and leave me a comment (don't be too cruel please)!

Some blogs I love to read:

http://www.esteelalonde.com (cool Canadian living in London)
http://hannahgale.co.uk (love her "say it as you think it" writing style)
http://kellehampton.com (inspirational pictures and honest, creative parenting)
http://www.abeautifulmess.com (pinterest worthy stuff, very colourful)
http://doesmybumlook40.blogspot.com (be warned, you will purchase stuff impulsively)
http://havesomedecorum.blogspot.co.uk (honest, raw and funny writing by ALS ass-kicker)
http://morethantoast.org (stylish single parent)
http://www.viviannadoesmakeup.com (lifestyle and beauty blog/vlogger on a fitness mission)
http://www.hannahmaggs.co.uk (love the Michalaks vlogs too)





Comments

  1. I read some of those blogs too but I have to say I've really gone off Kelle- way too contrived and staged photos with way too many sponsored posts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things I learnt from my 99 year old grandmother

The past couple of weeks have been emotional. We almost lost my 99 year old grandmother and my whole family rushed home to be with her. The lady knows how to pull a crowd. She miraculously pulled through, but while spending a week with her in hospital I learnt a few important life lessons. There are so many practical things my grandmother could teach me about as she is such a strong, talented woman, but here are 5 things she unknowingly taught me last week. 1. Sometimes you know better than those in charge There are times when others will tell you what they believe to be the right thing to do is, other times you will have blind faith in others' abilities to help. And then there are times when you should just ignore all others and do what you feel is right. You never know, it may just be the one little thing you do that makes all the difference. 2. Be honest, especially when that's the hardest thing to do Taking the time to have an open and honest conversation - an...

New starts, little souls.

It's what all parents are thinking about and talking about. Some have even been dreaming about it since the start of the summer. The kids are starting school again this week.  With it comes the exhilaration at your new found freedom or the sad feeling that the summer together has gone all too soon. And that we will miss not only the sun but the time spent together.  Kids will be lining up to join their old friends again or standing around looking for a familiar friendly face in an overwhelming sea of people. As a parent you always hope that your child will be equipped with the strength and self confidence to deal with any feelings of loneliness or fear. There is no greater gut wrenching moment than when you fear your child is the one feeling like the odd one out or "Billy no mates".  My child is lucky to have had many friends in her class in the last few years.  This year she will be starting a new class, with barely a close friend in it. Not as bad as starting afres...

Full hearts

This is the fifth attempt at starting a new blog post. If you're reading this, it means I've decided it's good enough (or I've given up on attempting better*). It's been a busy few weeks. We've had visitors. Well, one. My lovely mother has been over to stay for a while and has kindly let us escape some of the school holidays for a (well deserved?) break away - you know, to see if the husband and I can still stand each other when the kids aren't around. The house has been wrecked/tidied/wrecked and the kids have never been fed so well nor been entertained/played as much. So you would think the day we 'go back to normal' would be a slowly unwinding, falling back into place kind of day. Instead the kids are still up (there was screeching at bath time) and the husband and I are just a little bit lost without our dinner cooked for us and a welcoming face awaiting us after school/work. She came in a little car laden down with food/drinks/christmas pr...