Skip to main content

I'm on mission.

I'm on a mission.

A few months ago I went on a work course which required me to write a mission statement for my life. So far, so American. I was sent to sit by myself for 2 hours(!) to come up with it and all I ended up with was three words. Somehow all things I want were reduced to the following simple statements.

True
Not in a "Don't lie, Pinocchio" sense. I want to be true to myself. To have the courage to speak up, write what I really think, share photographs and allow myself to show people my weird little quirks and contradicting personality traits. To self-censor less and be vulnerable and 'open'. I'm pretty sure I'm an (undiagnosed) introvert, so this doesn't always come easy. In the past it has proven to be worth it though, so my aim is to "do me" more.

Focus
On the here and now, live in the moment. To appreciate what I have and don't skip ahead. All those things. I want to make sure that whatever I do, I give it my full attention and don't get too distracted by the urge to multitask or get side tracked. Whether it is to give my children attention free from technology or housework or to make sure I allow myself to spend time on developing the things that I like doing (photography, candle making, writing, yoga, running) focus is what is needed in order to do them well. 

Less
This one is a big one. Ironically. I need to worry less. Aim to want less. Decluttering of the mind and house (how many bags of baby clothes can one house contain?!). This one has been a mission for the last few years. My new year's resolution last year was LESS. Apply to all. Eat less, worry less, have less stuff cluttering the house, spend less, put off less what can be done now, stress less about things I cannot influence, arguing less with the kids/husband over the little things. Less negativity, more positivity. And so it goes on. As you can see, it's my nemesis this one. And yet, LESS so than last year.

It's not all that easy, I am still battling with the current state of the world (see my last post) which is really testing my resolve on the above points in many ways. 
All the more reason to truly focus on worrying less and living more.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full hearts

This is the fifth attempt at starting a new blog post. If you're reading this, it means I've decided it's good enough (or I've given up on attempting better*). It's been a busy few weeks. We've had visitors. Well, one. My lovely mother has been over to stay for a while and has kindly let us escape some of the school holidays for a (well deserved?) break away - you know, to see if the husband and I can still stand each other when the kids aren't around. The house has been wrecked/tidied/wrecked and the kids have never been fed so well nor been entertained/played as much. So you would think the day we 'go back to normal' would be a slowly unwinding, falling back into place kind of day. Instead the kids are still up (there was screeching at bath time) and the husband and I are just a little bit lost without our dinner cooked for us and a welcoming face awaiting us after school/work. She came in a little car laden down with food/drinks/christmas pr...

Put a lid on it.

As I'm on holiday at the moment and lying by the pool (stick around, I'm going somewhere with this) it's only natural to have a look around at all the people surrounding me. Men, women. All different nationalities, ages and body shapes.  I start playing the ranking game. Not very consciously but nevertheless I do it. A woman might be taller and leaner but have a slightly bigger belly. Bigger boobs but chubbier legs. Pretty arms but pasty skin. I think it's a way of confirming my own body shape is not perfect but neither is anyone else's. Would I want to swap one of my flaws for another? I wonder if we were put in a room by ourselves with no one to compare ourselves to or measure against would we be happier to accept who we are? Does the culture to share and compare through magazines, social networking etc. feed into our insecurities or is it a way for us to "like" ourselves by highlighting the areas we like and blurring out those which we don't.  I...

10 ways to squeeze the hygge out of Copenhagen

The overload of Scandinavian interior shots, the 'Little Book of Hygge's popularity, autumn weather settling in and nowhere seemed more appropriate for a city trip than Copenhagen. Or Køpenhavn as the locals would say. I have to mention here that it gets strangely addictive saying the ø sound. Smørebrød is the best word. I have rounded up my top 5 of things to eat/drink and 5 places to explore to get an instant feel for the city. There is of course a lot more to see and do, but I wanted to summarise the highlights. This should allow you to spend more time browsing the cool design shops, tasting the delicious food and soaking up the cosy (hygge) atmosphere. You're welcome. 5 THINGS YOU HAVE TO EAT/DRINK IN COPENHAGEN Grød - All In Porridge Bowl Granola - Danish Omelette with Mushrooms, Cheese, Tomato, Ham and Salad Laura's Bakery  - Skyr Yoghurt and Vanilla custard & Chocolate cinnamon bun Ruby - Postie Fizz Paté Paté  - Pork Party ...