Skip to main content

Itchy feet

Is it running away or looking for something new that makes people move?

I am sure most people are familiar with a scenario like this: you are on holiday, enjoying the sunshine and the thought crosses your mind that maybe this is what life should be like all the time. In my mind, this thought is then quickly followed with a daydream of giving up the jobs we've had for the last few years, selling up and moving countries to settle into a new life of sunshine and fun, with the minor details of a job and other boring practicalities a small side note or afterthought.

Very realistic, it's not. Nevertheless, it does make me think about how easy it is to tick along in our day to day life without questioning whether this is how we would choose to live if we had a clean slate.

I currently quite like my life. It's easy, comfortable and familiar. If someone could guarantee it will stay like this then I would sign up for that. I could do with more sun, as where we live a few sunny days make up summer, but it's a minor complaint. My main worry in life is the uncertainty of the future; the political instability and security threat is increasingly worrying to me. This would be the real reason why a life elsewhere seems like an opportunity to feel safer, as well as warmer. Get out before it goes sour, if you will.

With this in my mind, I started thinking about whether I am looking for something new/better or whether I am running away from a feared future picture I have painted in my own head.

It's probably a mixture of both. 'Living the dream' is not what I am looking for as I am realistic enough to see that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the world - I can't think of a place that would feel completely safe to me. However, it's tempting to think that a move would leave behind a lot of the things weighing on me currently, as well as bringing some excitement and sunshine.

So should I stay or should I go? Currently undecided.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Put a lid on it.

As I'm on holiday at the moment and lying by the pool (stick around, I'm going somewhere with this) it's only natural to have a look around at all the people surrounding me. Men, women. All different nationalities, ages and body shapes.  I start playing the ranking game. Not very consciously but nevertheless I do it. A woman might be taller and leaner but have a slightly bigger belly. Bigger boobs but chubbier legs. Pretty arms but pasty skin. I think it's a way of confirming my own body shape is not perfect but neither is anyone else's. Would I want to swap one of my flaws for another? I wonder if we were put in a room by ourselves with no one to compare ourselves to or measure against would we be happier to accept who we are? Does the culture to share and compare through magazines, social networking etc. feed into our insecurities or is it a way for us to "like" ourselves by highlighting the areas we like and blurring out those which we don't.  I...

Full hearts

This is the fifth attempt at starting a new blog post. If you're reading this, it means I've decided it's good enough (or I've given up on attempting better*). It's been a busy few weeks. We've had visitors. Well, one. My lovely mother has been over to stay for a while and has kindly let us escape some of the school holidays for a (well deserved?) break away - you know, to see if the husband and I can still stand each other when the kids aren't around. The house has been wrecked/tidied/wrecked and the kids have never been fed so well nor been entertained/played as much. So you would think the day we 'go back to normal' would be a slowly unwinding, falling back into place kind of day. Instead the kids are still up (there was screeching at bath time) and the husband and I are just a little bit lost without our dinner cooked for us and a welcoming face awaiting us after school/work. She came in a little car laden down with food/drinks/christmas pr...

Bring on the bright

Nothing as bright and ready-for-Spring than an Easter parade of yellow shoulder bags. I'm over the red bags. I never found one that was quite right and so after many attempts I've moved on to the next season already. Shelve the wintery hues, bring me Spring.  I can't say for certain, but the fact that my holiday plans are taking shape may have put me in the mood for some brighter accessories. For me the ideal bag has to have a shoulder strap, allowing hands free child wrangling and also be small enough to be comfortable for wearing out for a walk (think stroll to coffee shop rather than wild rambling) and big enough to house my wallet, keys, phone and sunglasses.  I've rounded up my absolute favourites from the bargainous, via the slightly more on the naughty side to the remortgage-your-house-and-eat-rice-for-months zone.  Leave a comment with your favourite.  1  Chloe - Hudson Small  | 2 Chloe - Marcie Mini  | 3 Parentesi - Acros...