Skip to main content

Rock on.

I rock.

At least today I did. And some of this week. In fact, I'm starting to realise that I rock quite a lot of the time. Especially when I'm in a situation which scares the hell out of me.

I'm noticing more and more that the things which make me feel great about myself are those which I dread the most.

It's so much easier to stay within my comfort zone and not push myself to do the things that scare me, that when I do breakout of that comfy, cosy safe area it's a great surprise to feel the boost of self-esteem and confidence which inevitably comes from doing so.

That scary presentation, the uncomfortable lunch with someone unknown, going for dinner with people you don't know very well, standing up for yourself at work and being proud of what you achieve. These are the things that give the biggest boost of energy when you push yourself to do them and surprisingly, you do them well. 

Never been fond of pushing myself too much. Maybe that's why in the past when things get tough I find it easier to jump ship and move on to something else, but I'm enjoying it now. So maybe i'm tougher than I think.

So I will keep pushing. Keep rocking.
Rock on. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full hearts

This is the fifth attempt at starting a new blog post. If you're reading this, it means I've decided it's good enough (or I've given up on attempting better*). It's been a busy few weeks. We've had visitors. Well, one. My lovely mother has been over to stay for a while and has kindly let us escape some of the school holidays for a (well deserved?) break away - you know, to see if the husband and I can still stand each other when the kids aren't around. The house has been wrecked/tidied/wrecked and the kids have never been fed so well nor been entertained/played as much. So you would think the day we 'go back to normal' would be a slowly unwinding, falling back into place kind of day. Instead the kids are still up (there was screeching at bath time) and the husband and I are just a little bit lost without our dinner cooked for us and a welcoming face awaiting us after school/work. She came in a little car laden down with food/drinks/christmas pr...

Put a lid on it.

As I'm on holiday at the moment and lying by the pool (stick around, I'm going somewhere with this) it's only natural to have a look around at all the people surrounding me. Men, women. All different nationalities, ages and body shapes.  I start playing the ranking game. Not very consciously but nevertheless I do it. A woman might be taller and leaner but have a slightly bigger belly. Bigger boobs but chubbier legs. Pretty arms but pasty skin. I think it's a way of confirming my own body shape is not perfect but neither is anyone else's. Would I want to swap one of my flaws for another? I wonder if we were put in a room by ourselves with no one to compare ourselves to or measure against would we be happier to accept who we are? Does the culture to share and compare through magazines, social networking etc. feed into our insecurities or is it a way for us to "like" ourselves by highlighting the areas we like and blurring out those which we don't.  I...

10 ways to squeeze the hygge out of Copenhagen

The overload of Scandinavian interior shots, the 'Little Book of Hygge's popularity, autumn weather settling in and nowhere seemed more appropriate for a city trip than Copenhagen. Or Køpenhavn as the locals would say. I have to mention here that it gets strangely addictive saying the ø sound. Smørebrød is the best word. I have rounded up my top 5 of things to eat/drink and 5 places to explore to get an instant feel for the city. There is of course a lot more to see and do, but I wanted to summarise the highlights. This should allow you to spend more time browsing the cool design shops, tasting the delicious food and soaking up the cosy (hygge) atmosphere. You're welcome. 5 THINGS YOU HAVE TO EAT/DRINK IN COPENHAGEN Grød - All In Porridge Bowl Granola - Danish Omelette with Mushrooms, Cheese, Tomato, Ham and Salad Laura's Bakery  - Skyr Yoghurt and Vanilla custard & Chocolate cinnamon bun Ruby - Postie Fizz Paté Paté  - Pork Party ...