Skip to main content

Of Picasso, Pick and Mix and Puzzles.

Which one describes your personality best?
  • Introvert/Extrovert
  • Calm/Energetic
  • Creative/Organised
  • Positive/Negative
  • Fun/Boring
  • Spontaneous/Structured
What if you find you fit each and everyone one of them depending on the day/situation you are in?

I find that I have such a dual personality, a mix (or mismatch) of characteristics and behaviours which are contradicting and yet complimentary to each other. I'm sure this is true for most people, we are of course not two dimensional, black and white creatures. It's like having pieces of different puzzles thrown together and trying to join them up. We're all just going to have to get creative with which of the pieces to feature depending on how we want our picture to look.

At work, I try to feature the calm, organised, positive, structured puzzle pieces. At home I can be introvert, energetic, calm, creative, fun, spontaneous. It's a bit of a pick and mix. I think we all choose different versions of ourselves to present to others - whether it's at work or home, face to face or online, with friends or family, at holiday or in the real world.

It's when we try to fit them all together, those various shades of grey, all us, all true but slightly filtered versions of all that lies within, that things get complicated. 

For instance, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would feel uncomfortable with everyone who I work with knowing all about my life. Or how about your parents watching what you get up to when you go out (ok, maybe these days it's quite a sedate affair, but still...). Is your friends' perception of you the same as that of the people you work with? It's why we make our internet settings restricted, why we blog anonymously, why we dress different for work/play.  

Of course some people seem to have it figured out. If everyone who knew them had to give a description of them they would all be very similar. They still had all those random puzzle pieces, yet have created a picture from all of them, beautifully fit together. The picture might look different depending on the light of day, where it's displayed, it might look beautiful to some, ugly to others but nevertheless, it's there, it's theirs.

One day, I hope to be able to fit all my pieces together and be proud to display them all for all to see rather than getting half way through the pick and mix puzzle, decide it looks too much like a Picasso and putting them back in the box. After all, a Picasso is a masterpiece.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full hearts

This is the fifth attempt at starting a new blog post. If you're reading this, it means I've decided it's good enough (or I've given up on attempting better*). It's been a busy few weeks. We've had visitors. Well, one. My lovely mother has been over to stay for a while and has kindly let us escape some of the school holidays for a (well deserved?) break away - you know, to see if the husband and I can still stand each other when the kids aren't around. The house has been wrecked/tidied/wrecked and the kids have never been fed so well nor been entertained/played as much. So you would think the day we 'go back to normal' would be a slowly unwinding, falling back into place kind of day. Instead the kids are still up (there was screeching at bath time) and the husband and I are just a little bit lost without our dinner cooked for us and a welcoming face awaiting us after school/work. She came in a little car laden down with food/drinks/christmas pr...

Put a lid on it.

As I'm on holiday at the moment and lying by the pool (stick around, I'm going somewhere with this) it's only natural to have a look around at all the people surrounding me. Men, women. All different nationalities, ages and body shapes.  I start playing the ranking game. Not very consciously but nevertheless I do it. A woman might be taller and leaner but have a slightly bigger belly. Bigger boobs but chubbier legs. Pretty arms but pasty skin. I think it's a way of confirming my own body shape is not perfect but neither is anyone else's. Would I want to swap one of my flaws for another? I wonder if we were put in a room by ourselves with no one to compare ourselves to or measure against would we be happier to accept who we are? Does the culture to share and compare through magazines, social networking etc. feed into our insecurities or is it a way for us to "like" ourselves by highlighting the areas we like and blurring out those which we don't.  I...

New starts, little souls.

It's what all parents are thinking about and talking about. Some have even been dreaming about it since the start of the summer. The kids are starting school again this week.  With it comes the exhilaration at your new found freedom or the sad feeling that the summer together has gone all too soon. And that we will miss not only the sun but the time spent together.  Kids will be lining up to join their old friends again or standing around looking for a familiar friendly face in an overwhelming sea of people. As a parent you always hope that your child will be equipped with the strength and self confidence to deal with any feelings of loneliness or fear. There is no greater gut wrenching moment than when you fear your child is the one feeling like the odd one out or "Billy no mates".  My child is lucky to have had many friends in her class in the last few years.  This year she will be starting a new class, with barely a close friend in it. Not as bad as starting afres...