Skip to main content

Wanted: contentment.

The art of being content.

It's something tricky that word. Content. 

I can be happy. It's having a laugh with my children, doing something I enjoy, being with people I love. All those things are moments which make me happy. Smily, "oh what fun" kind of times. Think Pharrell's 24 hour Happy dance kind of times. And then I check Facebook, read an article, watch the news and something will take me back to the reality of life where there are things to want, people to compare yourself to, stuff to worry about. 

When Christmas or birthdays come I struggle to think of things I want. Yet, in a second I can go from not needing anything to impulse buying something because I just have to have it. Not. Good. Marketeers dream.

I would say in general all the boxes are ticked. Family, health, work, house, love. Tick, tick, tick.
And yet... It's so easy to take that for granted and look "over the fence". Just checking that the grass isn't greener over at the Jones' place. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can go from being content to be left feeling wanting more, feel short changed by life or just a bit 'meh' about the seemingly banality of my life compared to the friends, bloggers, famous people sharing their perfectly presented "best of" moments online, on tv, in magazines. 

It's ridiculous and yet so easily done. Here's my life (with all its loveliness and all its flaws which I know so well) and there is everyone else's (with only its shiny, polished snapshots of perfection) and to compare the two is nonsense. I know this. You know this. And yet, I bet you have done it too.

A bit of window shopping someone else's life isn't all bad though. If it encourages me to look at the areas in my life which I want to kick into shape then great! I'm trying to use those moments to focus on what I have and be content about that. Not always strive for something else. If it encourages me to make the most of what I have, I'll happily let it. I just don't want to allow it to make me feel like I'm missing something, to feel outdone by everyone else. 

When I look up contentment quotes it's all about being happy with what you have. Appreciating. Allowing yourself to be you, not aspiring to live someone else's life.

Maybe that's all it takes. But dammit, sometimes a girl wouldn't mind owning a ridiculously expensive handbag or sitting on a nice beach somewhere hot with a cocktail in hand. All who agree wave your hands!* Until then, I'll go and make myself a cup of coffee and be content.

*Or leave a comment.

http://24hoursofhappy.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full hearts

This is the fifth attempt at starting a new blog post. If you're reading this, it means I've decided it's good enough (or I've given up on attempting better*). It's been a busy few weeks. We've had visitors. Well, one. My lovely mother has been over to stay for a while and has kindly let us escape some of the school holidays for a (well deserved?) break away - you know, to see if the husband and I can still stand each other when the kids aren't around. The house has been wrecked/tidied/wrecked and the kids have never been fed so well nor been entertained/played as much. So you would think the day we 'go back to normal' would be a slowly unwinding, falling back into place kind of day. Instead the kids are still up (there was screeching at bath time) and the husband and I are just a little bit lost without our dinner cooked for us and a welcoming face awaiting us after school/work. She came in a little car laden down with food/drinks/christmas pr...

Put a lid on it.

As I'm on holiday at the moment and lying by the pool (stick around, I'm going somewhere with this) it's only natural to have a look around at all the people surrounding me. Men, women. All different nationalities, ages and body shapes.  I start playing the ranking game. Not very consciously but nevertheless I do it. A woman might be taller and leaner but have a slightly bigger belly. Bigger boobs but chubbier legs. Pretty arms but pasty skin. I think it's a way of confirming my own body shape is not perfect but neither is anyone else's. Would I want to swap one of my flaws for another? I wonder if we were put in a room by ourselves with no one to compare ourselves to or measure against would we be happier to accept who we are? Does the culture to share and compare through magazines, social networking etc. feed into our insecurities or is it a way for us to "like" ourselves by highlighting the areas we like and blurring out those which we don't.  I...

New starts, little souls.

It's what all parents are thinking about and talking about. Some have even been dreaming about it since the start of the summer. The kids are starting school again this week.  With it comes the exhilaration at your new found freedom or the sad feeling that the summer together has gone all too soon. And that we will miss not only the sun but the time spent together.  Kids will be lining up to join their old friends again or standing around looking for a familiar friendly face in an overwhelming sea of people. As a parent you always hope that your child will be equipped with the strength and self confidence to deal with any feelings of loneliness or fear. There is no greater gut wrenching moment than when you fear your child is the one feeling like the odd one out or "Billy no mates".  My child is lucky to have had many friends in her class in the last few years.  This year she will be starting a new class, with barely a close friend in it. Not as bad as starting afres...