Skip to main content

Less is more.

After having been back home for over a week we are settling nicely into a routine of late nights, lie ins and feasting. Life's been a party. But the inevitable is coming. Normality.

I've always hated that Sunday feeling; waiting for Monday morning. It's the same feeling I get when a holiday gets near the end, the party is starting to slow down and everyone starts to think about what is next. 

The thing is, I like what is "next", the normality. It's just that I am not great with finishing things. I think I mentioned that before. So the whole packing up, saying goodbye and falling back into the mundane routines is currently looming and hangs over my head a little like a pesky cloud not dark enough to rain, but to cast a shadow over my last few sunny days of holiday bliss. 

Time to give myself a little talking to. It's been a great holiday, a great year. Time to start enjoying looking ahead. I'm no good with New Year's resolutions as I would find it impossibly annoying to discipline myself to stick to them. Who am I kidding, I would last a day. Or less. So instead I'll go with a theme. The last few years were all about decluttering: the house, the baby stuff, my mind.

This year I'm just going with LESS. 

Less of everything. Apply to all (or most) parts of life.

We'll see how it goes, but I can't fail really as there are no rules! 

Happy New Year!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full hearts

This is the fifth attempt at starting a new blog post. If you're reading this, it means I've decided it's good enough (or I've given up on attempting better*). It's been a busy few weeks. We've had visitors. Well, one. My lovely mother has been over to stay for a while and has kindly let us escape some of the school holidays for a (well deserved?) break away - you know, to see if the husband and I can still stand each other when the kids aren't around. The house has been wrecked/tidied/wrecked and the kids have never been fed so well nor been entertained/played as much. So you would think the day we 'go back to normal' would be a slowly unwinding, falling back into place kind of day. Instead the kids are still up (there was screeching at bath time) and the husband and I are just a little bit lost without our dinner cooked for us and a welcoming face awaiting us after school/work. She came in a little car laden down with food/drinks/christmas pr...

Put a lid on it.

As I'm on holiday at the moment and lying by the pool (stick around, I'm going somewhere with this) it's only natural to have a look around at all the people surrounding me. Men, women. All different nationalities, ages and body shapes.  I start playing the ranking game. Not very consciously but nevertheless I do it. A woman might be taller and leaner but have a slightly bigger belly. Bigger boobs but chubbier legs. Pretty arms but pasty skin. I think it's a way of confirming my own body shape is not perfect but neither is anyone else's. Would I want to swap one of my flaws for another? I wonder if we were put in a room by ourselves with no one to compare ourselves to or measure against would we be happier to accept who we are? Does the culture to share and compare through magazines, social networking etc. feed into our insecurities or is it a way for us to "like" ourselves by highlighting the areas we like and blurring out those which we don't.  I...

New starts, little souls.

It's what all parents are thinking about and talking about. Some have even been dreaming about it since the start of the summer. The kids are starting school again this week.  With it comes the exhilaration at your new found freedom or the sad feeling that the summer together has gone all too soon. And that we will miss not only the sun but the time spent together.  Kids will be lining up to join their old friends again or standing around looking for a familiar friendly face in an overwhelming sea of people. As a parent you always hope that your child will be equipped with the strength and self confidence to deal with any feelings of loneliness or fear. There is no greater gut wrenching moment than when you fear your child is the one feeling like the odd one out or "Billy no mates".  My child is lucky to have had many friends in her class in the last few years.  This year she will be starting a new class, with barely a close friend in it. Not as bad as starting afres...